I love food, I really do, but reading this post you are going to think are you sure? You seem like a barrel of laughs to go out for a meal with… I promise it’s all good if the rules in my head are stuck to!
If not I usually grin and bare it so you would probably never know I am on the edge of break down (ha!)
I try and go out for dinner as much as possible. It’s something I have loved to do since I was little. Anything from a bar lunch to something more formal I am always willing to give it a try – as long as there is bread rolls on the table as back up.
So what are my fears, rules and weirdness when it comes to dining out with me? Well…
- I always read the menu before I go anywhere. I don’t do being spontaneous when it comes to eating. I will usually have a first, second and pudding option picked out and ready to fire to the waiter. I don’t do waiting as it gives me time to overthink!
- Sharing food gives me the fear. I am a bit like Joey from friends, although it’s not because I am greedy I just don’t want your germs. I will share with Russell, close friends and family but that is pushing it.
- I like to distract myself while eating. I have to either be talking, watching TV or in a deep thought about something – I tend to glaze over. If not I end up focusing on what I am eating the end up in pain.
- My stomach is always making noises. It is not necessarily because I am hungry. It can sound like a whale calling… It can be embarrassing when it grumbles in the office.
- Majority of the time I am full after 2 bites. I have had to train myself again to eat more. It is kind of like mind of matter. I am continually telling myself ‘I CAN do this!’
- I will ALWAYS find something wrong with a meal. I use this as an excuse to not have to finish it. Russell is always on hand to eat my leftovers though.
- I don’t cope well if my food is touching or if someone else (Russell) mushes their food together.
- I would happily live on puddings for the rest of my life.
- If going out for a meal I like to know every detail as my anxiety goes through the roof – Who is going, what are they eating, do they share food, do they do starters, where will we be sitting, are we staying for pudding, will they comment on my eating habits, do they know I am this weird (hahaha), is the toilet near by, will they judge me if I don’t eat my vegetables….
- I will only eat things made my certain people (although I am working on this one). For example, I will only eat my dads omelettes or my mums sandwiches.
Now please don’t let this list put you off inviting me out. If I don’t eat I am quite happy enjoying your company… maybe even with a glass of gin in my hand!